Home / Attractions -

Source of River Nile - Jinja

Jinja town is the adventure capital of Uganda. Anyone who has sought an adventurous trip in Uganda has first considered Jinja before any other place. This choice is simplified with the existence of the Source of the Nile.

There are other sources beyond Lake Victoria and Uganda that have claimed to be the rightful sources of the great Nile waters but even if they were right, none of them fits the claim as the Source of the Nile in Jinja.

Source of the Nile Jinja

According to John Speke, the first European explorer who discovered the Source of the Nile in Jinja, 30% of the Nile water comes from underground at a spot (source) just a few meters from Lake Victoria. One can actually see the water bubbles at that spot (source) which indicate there is water coming from underground. The Remaining 70% percent is contributed by other water bodies the biggest being Lake Victoria and others that contribute to the Lake Victoria waters.
The water from the source takes three months to reach its destination in Egypt.

The Nile that starts with such calm increases its intensity as it flows over several undulating rocks, squeezing through gorges and negotiating around numerous small islands. It plunges into a multitude of rapids punctuated by a series of astonishing waterfalls among the prominent ones is the Bujagali Falls popular for white water rafting, kayaking and a variety of other water adventures.

Source of the Nile Jinja

The white waters of River Nile combine with the lush vegetation along the its shores, on islands and peninsulas, the several bird species and the cool weather to create such fascinating scenery that feels almost spiritual to be amidst. Listening and looking at the gushing white waters, looking at the birds floating across the Nile from Lake Victoria, watching the fishermen spread their nets, and smelling the sweet scents emitted from the surrounding plants is so fulfilling.

Sipi Falls Adventures

Sipi falls is located in eastern Uganda in Kapchorwa district. It has 3 waterfalls with a spectacular view of mountain Elgon near the western side of Kenya. It has a cool environment mostly with fresh airs coming down from Mountain Elgon.

Sipi falls

The general activities that can be done there include:
  • Hiking
  • Birding
  • Nature walks
  • Mountain biking
  • Abseiling and cultural visits around the Bagisu people in the region.

Falling waters of Sipi Falls

Abseiling and rock climbing are two main fascinating activities by the falls. Experience the breath taking adventure of descending with the waters of the falls, abseiling with supervision a distance of 100meters with two way systems.

Rock climbing is also as thrilling, here you are given some lessons before climbing. There are ten bolten routes that are grouped as easy routes, medium routes and the hard routes, climbing starts from the left towards the right.

Safaris and tours to Sipi falls

Special Offer

Special Offers at Express View Inn


Cild funding in Uganda, Community Outreach Projects - African Adventure Travellers

Travelers' reviews

April 11, 2015  

Auf den Spuren der Berggorillas – Perfekt organisiert und durchgeführt

September 14, 2013  

Lake Mburo - zwei Tage Safari

April 1, 2013  

Ugandisches Abenteuer

September 1, 2015  

Safaritur på 6 dage til Murchison Falls og Queen Elizabeth Park.

August 28, 2015  

6-dags safaritur til Murchison falls, Queen Elizabeth samt gorilla tracking i Bwindi

May 17, 2013  

Esperienza unica!

February 17, 2016  


Reviewed: July 5, 2014  

Buen precio y servicio excelente

African Adventure Travellers on Safari Bookings

Talk to us now

Need Assistance on Planning a Safari
African Adventure Travellers on WhatsApp